WARREN AREA CHAMBER MEETING
Wednesday, March 7, 2018
Lunch provided by East of Chicago
Prayer led by Rusty Strickler
Introduction of chamber members and guests
Minutes of Previous Meeting
Business Spotlight – Huntington Relay for Life, PHH Foundation, and Salamonie School
- Mark and Vickie Keiffer announced that this year’s Relay for Life will be Saturday June 9th from 12 pm to 12 am at Kriegbaum Field with the theme, “Rocking Around The Clock with Relay”. They are hoping for around 30 – 35 teams. The Keiffer’s became involved 20 years ago and this is their 2nd year as co-chairs. The goal is to raise $53,000.00 this year and to raise the amount prior to the event, 90% of money raised goes towards cancer research. Business sponsorships start at $100.
- Doug Selig from PHH Foundation stated that PHH is a charitable, not-for-profit, community owned business with 36 patient beds, 2 operating rooms, and 1 special procedures room. PHH is a Magnet Facility which is the highest and most prestigious for nursing excellence and quality patient care. PHH received many accomplishments in 2017, including 5 star rating from CMS and Top 100 Hospital for the 6th time from Truven Health. PHH offers the Healthy Steps Fair on April 14th and October 6th from 7 to 11 am.
- Mark Buzzard and Carlee Selig from Salamonie Schools explained they would like to send 36 5thgrade students and 11 chaperones on a trip to Chicago for a learning experience. They are in the process on raising money to completely foot the bill. Contact them to donate.
- Spring Cleanup – Nicole passed around a sign-up sheet for spring cleanup on April 21st at 9 am. We will start by cleaning the area around the billboard.
- Wine/Beer Tasting Committee – Nicole noted that we still need help for event next spring.
- Chamber Bucks – Nicole stated that chamber bucks will be reprinted at Bippus from now on. All member businesses will be listed on checks. Chamber bucks can be used to pay gas bill, cable bill, used at area restaurants, etc. as they work like a check.
- WHF – Mike Haggerty noted that on May 5th there will be a Powar Fitness Festival and are in the process of raising money for the event. Handouts available regarding sponsorship levels. April 7th at 6 pm there will be a dinner at power plant to help raise money.
- HCCSC Board – Brian Warpup mentioned that they are very busy and will be breaking ground in Roanoke this August.
- Downtown Park – Jeff Souder stated they are working on test pours with concrete and will break ground soon.
- Warren Town Council – Ethan Stivers noted that we received grant for new road at Wayne and Main.
- Historic Warren – Becky Souder stated that they are working on project for festival, including free events and a horse and pony pull.
- Salamonie Summer Festival – Joyce Buzzard informed us that plans are coming together. SSF will be June 29-July 1, with fireworks on July 3rd. Next meeting is March 20 at 6:30. There will be a dinner at Civic Center on April 22nd to raise money for fireworks.
- Creative Arts Outreach – Josh Heim noted that Bruce Winters will start painting classes again soon and paint pouring classes may possibly be starting soon.
The next meeting will be held on April 4.