WARREN AREA CHAMBER MEETING
Wednesday, April 5, 2017
Lunch provided by Wagon Wheel
Prayer led by Paul Burris
Introduction of chamber members and guests
Minutes of Previous Meeting
Business Spotlight – Warren Pharmacy and Son-Rise Bakery
• Melinda Daniels shared information and handouts about the pharmacy. Warren Pharmacy/Terry Daniels, Pharmacist have served the community for 2 decades in pharmacy needs, deliveries to community and Heritage Pointe. November 2002 the current location was opened. Warren Pharmacy carries home health care products and some medical equipment.
• Krista Fornal of Son-Rise Bakery shared information and handouts regarding the bakery. Krista bought the bakery in November 2016 and has since expanded the hours. Orders may be called in, picked up, or eat-in. The bakery also serves breakfast items all day.
• Website/Social Media – Nicole Johnson mentioned that the new website is not up yet, that graphics are being improved upon. The website should be up and running in the next couple weeks and chamber will be informed when it is available.
• Flavors of Fall – Kari Heim noted that September 16 is the date being looked at for this year’s Flavors of Fall and that entertainment is being explored for the VIP section of the event, volunteers are also needed.
• Scarecrow Festival – Rose mentioned that we need a chair for the Festival; it is a great program with great volunteers. She mentioned to let any board member know if interested.
• Samuel Jones Breakfast – Rose mentioned that volunteers are needed for the breakfast.
• Salamonie Summer Festival – Trash cans for the festival will be available early May outside of town hall. Reber’s has quite a few trash cans available for use and Warren Health and Fitness has logos available for purchase to put on trash cans. Mike Haggerty gave a PowerPoint presentation over the Festival. There will be a two-day rodeo on Saturday and Sunday by Big Hat Rodeo, sponsors are still needed at different levels for the rodeo. Tickets will be available online and at the door. The Aaron Watson Concert and fireworks will be July 3rd at the park and K105 will be hosting the event. The WAR Games will be going on during the Festival, which include the MudRun, 5k walk/run, and 3 on 3 basketball tourney. Participants may register online at Warren Health and Fitness’ website. June 3rd there will be a golf outing at Dogwood Glen Golf Course to raise money for the Festival and mugs and t-shirts are currently available for purchase at businesses around town.
• HCUED – Mark Whickersham shared handouts and mentioned that there was $120,000.00 available in scholarships. He also mentioned the Brickley Site will have a “For Sale” sign up soon and asked for letter of support from Chamber as on April 27th he will be requesting a large sign that is visible from I-69, all agreed to send letter of support.
• HC Chamber – Steve Kimmel reported that Heritage Days will be June 14-18 and that volunteers are needed. He also noted that this weekend at Huntington North is the State Robotics Competition. Steve is working with the VA to raise funds for a Vietnam Monument and is hopeful to have the memorial and dedication on Veteran’s Day at the park.
• HC Visitors’ Bureau – Tina Bobilya mentioned the State Robotics Competition and that the event is free and was brought to our community by Chris Elston. She also noted that there is a large marketing budget this year with lots coming this summer.
• HC Community Foundation – Michael Howell reported that April 17th, grants for non-profits are due and there is 106 applications for available scholarships.
• Parkview Huntington Hospital – Doug Selig had handouts regarding the Health Steps Fair on April 15th from 7-11 am and noted that another event will be held in October.
Announcements or Additional Comments:
• Flavors of Fall 2016 Funds –Nicole mentioned that there was discussion at the Chamber Board Meeting regarding distributing some of the funds raised at last year’s Flavors of Fall to the Salamonie Summer Festival and the Park Fund. It was discussed to give $3,000.00 to the Salamonie Summer Festival and $3,000.00 to the Park Fund, everyone in attendance at the Chamber Meeting was in agreement to distribute the funds as such.
• Gebhart’s – Greenhouse will open April 29th.
There were 35 members and guests in attendance at March’s meeting. The next meetings will be held on May 3rd and June 7th.