WARREN AREA CHAMBER MEETING
Wednesday, August 1, 2018
Lunch provided by East of Chicago
Prayer led by Steven Spencer
Introduction of chamber members and guests
Minutes of Previous Meeting and Treasurer’s Report approved at Chamber Board Meeting
Business Spotlight – JH Pottery Works and East of Chicago Pizza
- Josh Heim shared that he has a degree in clay and has been doing pottery for 17 years. The pottery studio is 3 years old. Classes are offered, such as 6 week program, 2 hour play & clay, and a kid’s class. JH creates tons of custom pottery and has designed unique pieces for Salamonie Summer Festival, Crimson House, Heritage Pointe of Warren, Bippus, Citizens and for the wine tasting. Josh also has a partnership with with Books and Brews in the Indy area and creates monthly mugs for the mug club. All pieces are dishwasher/microwave safe.
- Jeff Souder shared that EOC was started by a young entrepreneur in Greenwich, Ohio. In 1991, the franchise was started. In 2008, Tony Collins, purchased the franchise. Jeff stated that Becky and he were first impressed by the product. There are 80 locations with most being in Ohio. The Warren location is routinely in the Top Ten in sales. Dough is made fresh daily and vegetables are fresh daily, as well. The Warren location is successful because of the staff and community.
- REPS – Kari Heim shared that REPS (Rebel Educated and Parents at Salamonie) is looking for donations to help with scholarships. Hoping to hand out 3 $500 scholarships.
- Current Sound System/New Speakers – Jeff stated that we had purchased 2 speakers to replace 2 damaged ones. Sound system company thinks that systems overall needs serviced. Currently waiting on quote. Chamber agreed on amount of up to $1200. It was also mentioned that more music should be played on the speakers.
- Scarecrow Festival – Nicole Johnson asked for volunteers for the committee.
- Huntington Co Library Card Business Discount Program – Susan from the Library shared that September is library card sign up month. This program will be open county wide to all cardholders. The library will pay for an insert in The Tab detailing the program. The discount/incentive given by business is up to that business to decide. Library will provide signs and brochures and participating businesses will be listed in all advertisement. Deadline for businesses to sign up is August 10th.
- Thank you to Joanie Paxson for Chamber Certificates!
- Warren Marketplace – Marketplace is open Thursday’s from 5-7 p.m., hoping for more produce soon.
- Downtown Park – Jeff stated that supplies are being gathered and build will start in about 2 weeks.
- HC Chamber – Steve Kimmel noted that September 12th is the golf outing. The Learning Center has served over 6500 individuals and they are starting a construction program through Ivy Tech. The entrepreneur/mentorship program is free and will be kicking off soon.
- HC Community Foundation – Michael Howell stated that Lily applications are due in September and grants will be due mid-October. $125,400 will be given away in scholarships this year, averaging $1300 per scholarships with 5 in Warren receiving $5,000 each.
- HC Council or Commissioner – Tom Wall shared that plan committee volunteers are needed. They are currently working on 85 miles of chip and seal roads and updating a sub-division’s blacktop. The County Jail is overcrowded and they are working on getting legislation changed as the jail is full with Level 6 offenders (lowest rating criminal offense).
- HCCSC Board – Matt Roth stated that school starts next Wednesday and to register your children if you have yet to do so. Working on finalizing bus routes and classes. Waiting on bids currently for new Roanoke Elementary School.
- United Way – Joy Koch stated Pacesetting Kickoff was July 14th. Kindercamp was wrapped up with 117 students. August 11th is the Sprint Triathlon and September 26th the full campaign will kick off.
- Warren Town Council – Ethan Stivers noted that August 7th at 5 pm is next meeting.
- SSF – Cheryl thanked everyone for a wonderful festival. Next meeting is August 14th at 6:30 to discuss theme for next year.
- Creative Arts Outreach – Josh Heim noted that event at SSF was successful. Will do soup supper again during Walk.
Announcements or Additional Comments:
- Beer/Wine Tasting – Set for May 4th. Next committee meeting is on August 29th at 1 pm.
The next meeting will be held on September 5th.